Thursday, August 2, 2018

Should You Get the Refreshed Hawaiian Airlines Credit Card?

Recently, I visited a new state — Hawaii — for the first time. As a beach snob and Caribbean enthusiast, I wasn’t sure I would love the islands as much as my Caribbean favorites like Anguilla, Nevis, and Aruba. However, I can honestly say that my visit to the islands of Oahu and Kauai changed my tune — quickly.

I absolutely loved being in Hawaii! The food, the scenery, and the Polynesian vibe was right up my alley. The beaches I spent time on were beautiful, and I loved how everything was so incredibly green and mountainous.

With that in mind, I am super excited about the newly refreshed Hawaiian Airlines Bank of Hawaii World Elite MasterCard offers through Barclays. This card now offers a more lucrative earning structure and signup bonus, which makes getting to Hawaii on miles a lot easier.

Hawaiian Airlines Bank of Hawaii World Elite MasterCard Details

Why should you consider getting this card? For starters, the new version of the credit card offers 50,000 miles after you sign up and use your card for $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days. This is a lot better than the 35K bonuses we’ve seen in the past, and it provides a much bigger incentive to sign up.

The new version of the card also offers a vastly improved earning structure. Instead of the 2/1 earning tiers of many other major airline credit cards, the Hawaiian Airlines Bank of Hawaii World Elite MasterCard now offers a 3/2/1 structure. This means you’ll earn 3 miles per $1 spent with Hawaiian Airlines, 2 miles per $1 spent on gas, dining, and grocery purchases, and 1 mile per $1 spent on everything else.

Other perks you should be aware of include:

  • No foreign transaction fees
  • A free first checked bag when you use your card to purchase airfare directly from the airline
  • Receive a one-time 50% discount on a companion fare for a round-trip economy flight between Hawaii and the U.S. mainland
  • Annual $100 companion discount on airfare for an economy flight between the U.S. mainland and Hawaii
  • $99 annual fee

One barely mentioned perk about the Hawaiian Airlines program I really like is the fact you can pool miles with other people. This is due to their ShareMiles program, which lets you share miles with friends and family without a fee. Having the ability to share and transfer miles makes this program a lot more valuable for families who might want to earn multiple signup bonuses or spread miles around to different people before booking flights. Also remember that there is a business version of this card, so you could earn even more miles if you you have a business that would allow you to qualify.

The Bottom Line

If you’re looking for a way to get to Hawaii with miles, it can pay to check out the newly refreshed Hawaiian Airlines credit card. Not only does it have a better signup bonus now, but the 3-2-1 earning structure makes it more competitive with other travel credit cards.

I know I am very much looking forward to going back to Kauai someday, and I would really like to visit Maui. This card will be a part of my plan once I get around to signing up.

 

Do you have the Hawaiian Airlines credit card? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment